Sunday 2 August 2015

Girls' Night In - Thrifty Themed Dinner Table Scapes


I enjoy making small changes in my decor, and decorating the coffee table and dining table for different seasons and holidays.

Almost all of my decor items were obtained through frugal means, as purchases from garage sales or thrift stores. Every so often I also benefit from hand me downs from friends or family who are changing their decor and have items they no longer want or need.

Most of us set the table for special dinners, for holidays or other celebrations, using linens, cutlery, glassware and dishes that we reserve for such occasions. We might add a vase of fresh flowers, or special related decor items for these times.

It can also be enjoyable to create other themed table settings to enhance a get together with guests or a night at home with family. Even a few simple additions to the dinner table can compliment a meal and showcase your interests and activities. And it doesn't have to cost a lot of money to compose an enjoyable and attractive back drop to your meals.

I have decided to share some of those that I enjoy, starting with Girls' Night In. I hope that they might inspire you with your own table scapes, and help you to look at items you come across at yard sales or thrift stores in a different way. 

The inspiration piece for this dinner was a high heeled shoe wine bottle holder. I was delighted when I came across this item at a yard sale a couple of summers ago, still in it's original box with a price tag of $24.99 attached, for only $1. 



For the centrepiece I decided to borrow this trinket box that normally sits on my bedroom dresser. Originally it held Marc Jacob's Lola perfume. I saw it (minus contents) at a thrift store and loved the style and colour.




At the same sale where I had purchased the wine bottle holder, I had also found an extra large wine glass that can hold an entire bottle of wine. Wine is my alcoholic beverage of choice, and I thought it would be a cute photo prop. It was also in its original box, never opened, also priced at $1.

On this occasion, I thought that it would make an interesting and complimentary vase for a floating flower. I snipped a hydrangea blossom from the bush in our back yard to add some colour and texture to the centrepiece.

The smaller high heeled shoe was another garage sale find for $1. 

I thought it would be interesting to add some other girly things, and decided that the large make up brush and strand of faux pearls were just what I needed. 

I could have used a bottle of perfume, or a tube of lipstick as part of my vignette. 

I had a couple of books for women that I used to set the shoe wine bottle holder on, to give it a bit of height, that were in keeping with my theme.

To balance the table, at the opposite end I set a couple of old VHS movies, perennial favourites Gone With the Wind and Titanic. An empty wine bottle with a pretty label became a vase. I snipped a lily from my garden to set inside. 



Flowers can be a costly addition to a table setting if purchased as a bouquet from the florist. During the growing season, and if you have a garden, you can create your own, or use single stems for a spot of colour and softness of texture.

If you don't have a garden, or it's the off season, consider purchasing single flowers for your decor. There are some lovely and unusual stems available that can make a statement on their own. I like to use the floral shop at our local supermarket, their prices are very good.

I didn't want a full table covering, so I simply folded a white tablecloth and used it as a runner. I purchase all of my table linens at yard sales and thrift stores. This particular one cost me a quarter.



I rarely follow traditional etiquette for the placement of cutlery, I just do whatever I think is aesthetically pleasing at the time. 



I utilize the square white plates frequently because they co-ordinate with anything. The smaller plates are a boxed set that I purchased at a yard sale for $3. I think that they would also be cute to use for dessert items if I decide to have a ladies' tea.


Everything seen on my table was thrifted or reused items that I had around the house. The cutlery, crystal wine glasses, square white plates, smaller dress themed plates, the beauty and fashion coasters with matching wine glass charms, the napkins and the salt and pepper shakers were all previous garage sale and thrift store finds. 

There are so many accessorizing possibilities. A silk scarf could become a table runner, or a larger pashmina could double as a table cloth.

You could decorate the table with random pieces of jewelry. I collect vintage brooches and earrings and have rhinestone pieces that would add sparkle and elegance.

You don't have to thrift to put together a themed dinner table scape, but I find that doing it frugally allows me to source unique things and to change the look more often.

I hope you might be able to take some ideas and inspiration for doing your own themed dinners. 

Nifty, thrifty and (over) fifty,

Cathy


No comments:

Post a Comment