Monday 5 August 2013

I even found things for my 'picky' teen at yard sales!

Monday, August 5, 2013

When my children were younger, it was easy to find things for them at garage sales. They were not particular about their clothes, did not care about 'name brands' and had no personal style sense or image to maintain. Garage sales were a wonderful source for books and toys for them as well and helped our family to budget on one income in the early years.

As they got older, naturally they became choosier about their clothing. My thirteen year old daughter, in particular, has very strong preferences. It is difficult enough to find things for her at retail stores. My sixteen year old son is easier to please, though he has a few 'must haves' when it comes to his clothes.

As they got away from playing with toys and their interests became more electronic related, finding things in general for them became more difficult.

This past weekend's community wide sale yielded wonderful bargains for both of them, however. For the first time in a long time, my daughter actually asked me to keep an eye out for certain things for her. At the top of her list was books. Like me, she is an avid reader. My son also reads, although his interests are usually more non-fiction as opposed to novels.

One of the first sales I stopped at had a set of Hunger Games books tied in a bundle and priced at $5. I knew my daughter had read the series already, but that she would probably like to have her own copies to keep on display and to reread. I offered $3 and it was accepted.

I found more books that I thought would interest her at additional sales throughout the day. I paid between .50 cents and $1 for them. For under $10 she now has enough books to keep her busy for the remainder of the summer.


It is usually my son who is interested in comic books and when I saw this huge volume of Bones comics for .50 cents I bought it for him. I was not familiar with it myself, but my daughter knew what it was immediately and apparently she enjoys them. I am happy if it is something they can both get some reading pleasure from. And with a cover price of $46 new, it was quite a bargain. Even if it is well worn.



I found a couple of non-fiction books for my son as well. He is interested in history, especially modern day. I was happy to find the book about Canada's Avro Arrow and related programmes. As it happens, we have a late relative, Owen Maynard, who worked on the project. During the 'brain drain' of the sixties he was recruited by NASA and worked on the American Apollo space programme.

My brother, who was a fighter pilot in the Canadian Forces, and who now flies commercial jets, would also be interested in this book, I know. I think these books were worth the loonie that I spent on them.


We have been looking for a new winter coat for my daughter for the last two seasons, without any success. Did I mention that she can be picky? I saw this one on Saturday and knew right away that it was very her. Now if only it was in her size. Perfect! It fits her nicely and she really likes it, so she will actually wear it and get use out of it. For $2 it was a great find, I think. I also bought her a couple of hoodies, an ultra soft oversized hooded sweater, and a pullover. I paid $2 for all of those as well.



My son's signature style is plaid shirts. Long-sleeved in cooler months, short-sleeved in warmer weather. He is open to any colour combinations, which makes him easy to buy for. I found these three offered for $1 a piece. I paid $2 for the three. He likes them all and his genuine appreciation made me feel really good.




The very first sale we stopped at Saturday morning, I did not see anything that grabbed me. My husband, who had remained in the van, gestured to a pair of Bolle goggles that he thought he could use for dirt biking. They were priced for $3, and my offer of $2 was accepted. 

They are in excellent condition. I was happy to get something at the first sale after all. My experience has been that if I find at least one good thing at the first sale I stop at for the day, the remainder of the day will be a success. The theory held up that day! 


I came across these cute cast iron stocking holders that were priced at 3/$1. I couldn't even haggle on that one!


A few years ago I bought a lined wicker basket for our cat to sleep in. I brought it home, put it on the floor, and my Shih Tzu Mickey D. promptly jumped in and claimed it as his. Lately, Bobby has decided that a basket looks pretty good and has been taking naps in it, to Mickey's consternation. When I saw a cat bed for $1 at one of the sales this weekend, I snatched it up.

Bobby has decided that it is quite comfortable and suits him just fine and now Mickey D. has his bed back.


So everyone got at least a little something and it was well worth the outing. I spent more than I would have spent on a normal weekend out yard saling, but I saved even more. It had been a while since I had found much for the kids, and it made me recall those early years when the bulk of what I used to buy each weekend was for them.

That has shifted and now it seems that most of what I look for and bring home from sales these days is for myself. It was nice to find things for others, to know that they will actually enjoy them, and t get some deals.

Nifty, thrifty and (almost) fifty,

Cathy

2 comments:

  1. Great score on the stocking holders. The ones I have are lightweight and topple over if the stocking gets too heavy. Cast iron would prevent that I would think. To get 3 for a $1 is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was pleased to find them and had to snatch them up right away, lol. I usually put the filled stockings out on the corners of the sofas (they are almost always overflowing and have 'extras' that don't fit inside).

    But these probably would be heavy enough to still hold a stocking after Santa had visited. Unless perhaps it was full of coal!

    ReplyDelete