Sunday 4 August 2013

Weekend yard sale shoe bonanza!

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Each August long weekend a nearby community has their town-wide garage sales, and each year I eagerly anticipate attending. Last year it was brutally hot by 8 a.m. but this year the weather was perfect. Sunny but with cooler than seasonal temperatures.

Because the day was such a success and because I bought so many things, I will break my posts up into sections. This first one will focus on the great shoes that I found yesterday. I know that I really did not need any more shoes. Who needs more than perhaps four pairs, truth be told? A pair of athletic shoes. A pair of black heels. A pair of sandals. A pair of flats.

I have a common shoe size, and shoes are something I see every weekend, but it was not until late yesterday morning that I finally found a pair in my size that I liked and that filled a gap in my current wardrobe.

These faux designer, faux python heels were priced for $5, which I thought was a bit much. They were comfortable though and I loved the colour and texture, so I offered $3. The seller refused, saying that they were Falchi designer shoes, genuine python, expensive and that $5 was a bargain price.

Admittedly I know nothing about designer labels, and I had not ever heard of Carlos Falchi, but even to my untrained eye they did not have a look of quality. Still, I thought they were cute, they were in great shape, and I reasoned that if I saw them at Value Village priced for $5 I would think that was a good deal. So I paid her price.


The next pair that I found were something that I happened to be on the look out for. I do not read fashion magazines or follow current fashions and did not realize that this style of shoe is called an Oxford heel. I thought of them as a type of granny shoe, like a granny boot only to the ankle, and lacing up in the front. I was happy to pay $1 for them.




The next purchase was a pair of brown clogs. I do not have any and these were nice and comfortable. For only $1 I could not resist.


We were on our way home and heading out of town when we stopped at a large country property where I found the best shoe buys of the day! I was down to my last $10. The seller was asking $2 a pair but agreed to take $5 for three pairs.

The first pair that caught my eye were these adorable red and black heels. I could picture wearing them with black dress pants.


Then I spied these faux suede Material Girl platform stilettos with the matte gold heels. I thought they were very sexy! And they are a versatile mushroom colour that I did not yet have.


Off to the side were another pair of Oxford heels. I had already purchased a pair that morning, of course. But these had a higher heel and a slightly different look, one that I preferred. You can never be sure how comfortable shoes will be until you have had to wear them for a while. So I figured I could have both pairs, and then keep the ones that I liked the most and donate the other pair.



At the next and last sale I found these black Rockport low-heeled sandals. As you might expect from Rockports, they are very comfortable. I paid $2 for those and went home with $3 in my pocket.

It is difficult to pick a favourite. Perhaps the last pair of Oxford high heels, because that is something that I had specifically been looking for. The style and colour of the red and black heels really appeal to me as well though and are unique among my shoe collection. And I think the stiletto pumps are very feminine and beautiful.

So maybe I did not need six more pairs of shoes. But I am very happy to have them! They bring me pleasure and I am sure that I will get a lot of wear out of them. They are certainly worth the $14 in total that I paid for them, don't you think?

Nifty, thrifty and (almost) fifty,

Cathy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy, a very pleasant read through your really entertaining blog.
    Makes me jealous that women have such a vastly bigger and better range of clobber to choose from than men do..
    Murray Dick (Jack Williams).
    PS: a friend has found a $10 denim dress at a garage sale she reckons will fit me. Look for a pic on my photostream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, how nice to 'see' you. I appreciate that you took the time to take a look at my blog. Thank you! Yes, women do have more choices than men do, and more opportunity to express our personalities through our clothing than men traditionally do.

    I wonder how the exchange rate is between our dollar and yours, whether they are close to being on par. That was nice of the friend to keep an eye out for things for you. I hope the dress fits. And you can't go wrong with denim. I will indeed watch for future photos.

    ReplyDelete