Wednesday 28 August 2013

The weekend I saved approximately $1,000 garage saling!

Three weekends ago I had the pleasure of going garage saling with my good friend Carolyn again. There were not a lot of sales that weekend, and neither of us bought a lot of things (though I found a bit more than she did) but what I did find was amazing, and I saved a TON of money. Close to $1,000 and possibly more.

The 'buy of the day', in fact easily the 'buy of the season' if not the 'buy of my garage saling career', was a double sized Sears-O-Pedic pillow top bed; firm mattress, boxspring and bedframe for $25. That's right....$25!!!! You are hard pressed to find a second hand bed frame for that price.

I know that some people might be squeamish about the idea of a 'used' bed. I checked it thoroughly though. There was not a single stain. Not even the slightest indentation from anyone's bodyweight. It was a rarely used guest bed. The other offerings of the people who owned it were clean and well cared for, indicative of their lifestyle and habits.

This is a photo of a current model. The one I purchased is very similar. http://www.sears.ca/product/sears-o-pedic-md-1735sl-oxford-v-euro-top-sleep-set/601-45785-45785

I saw it when we first got out of the car. Having just priced a double bed with mattress, box spring, frame and taxes at almost $1,000 on sale at a local national furniture store, and seeing the immaculate condition that it was in, I assumed their asking price would be far above what I might be willing to pay. I asked anyways, and was surprised to hear a response of $40.

I went back to take a second, more thorough look, examining the seams and testing the firmness. I thought $40 was an incredible steal, and would have happily paid that amount, but I had only taken $40 for the day, so I offered $25, fully prepared to pay more. The $25 was accepted. I paid, took their phone number, and said I would call later to arrange pick up. I felt elated as they put a 'sold' sign on the bed.

At the same sale, I spied a long winter coat whose colours and textures immediately appealed to me. I admired the vintage feel of it, and the short, curly grey fabric accented by the faux fur collar. I picked it up and it was quite heavy. I slipped it on and it fit nicely and felt so good. 

My friend Carolyn glanced over at me and commented, "My grandmother had a coat like that." Now, that might have put some people off, but I have a love of things vintage and nostalgic. I asked how much it was, and was told $80. Darn! Regretfully, I put it back.

As I continued to browse, the woman selling it came to me and said that I should make her an offer, that she wouldn't be offended. I replied that I probably 'would' offend her. I told her that I go garage saling regularly, and had recently paid $6 for a Danier leather coat and skirt and was originally thinking the price on the coat might be $5. 

She said that there was no way she could sell it for that, but that she would take $40. I said that I understood and that $40 was probably a good price and that it was a beautiful coat, but that it was more than I could pay. She seemed to understand as well.

That coat was on my mind all day. I do not have a dressy winter coat, a fact that I lamented last Christmas when I went to our work Christmas party in my beautiful floor length designer party dress (purchased at Value Village of course!). I thought how perfect that faux fur coat would have been, and how 'me' it would have been.

I did find a couple of other coats and jackets though. At a subsequent sale there was a pretty lilac coloured suede jacket from Fairweather. I tried it on and the seller even had a full length mirror so that I could see how it looked. Her price was $10. Not unreasonable for a genuine leather jacket, but more than 'I' wanted to pay. As I hung it up, she amended, "How about $5?'"

That piqued my interest again, and I slipped it on once more double checking for sleeve length, which is often an issue for me, especially in coats and jackets for some reason. I offtered $3, and it was mine.


At the next sale I came across a lovely long, hooded spring/fall overcoat or trenchcoat. It was black with black and white checks on the collar and as an accent for trim on the pockets. The size was far too small for me, according to the tag. I tried it on anyways and was surprised that it fit. I guess it was generously sized! The price was marked $5. I offered $3 and I had yet another coat for my wardrobe.


Later that day my husband and I went back to pick up the bed. The coat was still there. I tried it on again, loving it even more the second time around. I took a closer look ar it, including the labels. I noted that it had come from a local furrier and saw the initials sewn on the satin lining. I stroked the fur collar, examining it, and realized that it was likely real fur.

The name for the fur on the body of the coat had come to me during the day. Persian lamb. I didn't know anything about it, but I was pretty sure that that was what it was called. I began to suspect that this was not a faux fur but a genuine vintage fur coat of high quality. No wonder she had been asking $80 originally.

On the drive home with the bed I decided to call the seller and make an offer of $20 on the coat. It was accepted! I was on such a high as we returned there, yet again, to pick up my 'new' coat. The woman mentioned that it had belonged to her mother. I told her that while some people might consider it old-fashioned that I appreciated its history.

When I got home I did some research on it. It would appear that it is most likely from the 50s or 60s. I found an interesting blog post http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry/persian-lamb-telling-genuine that educated readers on how to tell a genuine Persian lamb coat from a fake one. It did not take long to determine that this was a genuine fur. Additional reading indicated that the collar is silver mink.


I have to admit that I have some ethical issues with fur products. I would not buy a brand new fur coat or article trimed with real fur. I do not judge anyone who does though. I eat meat and I have no problems with leather. I feel if we are going to be eating an animal anyways, why waste the hide?

I view vintage furs differently though. They are from a different period of time. A different generation with different ideas about the world. I do not see the point in throwing them out or leaving them to rot.

I love my coat. As with all my preowned things, I wonder about the woman who originally wore it. I wonder whether she is still living. I wonder what places she might have gone while she wore it. I wonder how it made her feel. I wonder whether she purchased it for herself or whether it was a gift. Whether it had sentimental value.

The interior lining is monogramed with her initials. Her first name begins with a 'Y'. I wonder whether she might have been an Yvonne, or a Yolanda. Perhaps an Yvette or maybe something more exotic like Yeshara. I enjoy wondering abou the people who used to own the things I buy. Especially those pieces that have some age to them, and that were likely special to their previous owners.


I was beyond thrilled with the successes of the day, and did not realize that there would be one more sale waiting for me the following day, and one more special item to pick up. As we headed home from grocery shopping the Sunday, I did not even see the sign at the entrance to the sidestreet nor glance up the road to see the small sale. But my husband did and turned the van around and went back for me. Before I was even out of the van, a gorgeous teal and purple coat in a subtle plaid pattern caught my eye.

As I tried it on, the gentleman running the sale said, 'It fits perfectly and it looks great on you!' I laughed lightly, and remarked that he was the consummate salesman. I asked him how much it was and he told me that it was $5. I offered $3, he was fine with that, and I hopped back into the van with my 'new' coat.

Closer inspection revealed it to be genuine Scottish mohair, and another vintage piece, though harder to date. It would seem to be from the late 50s to early 70s. I love the texture of the mohair, and it is in impeccable condition.

The colours did not photograph true. The teal is a bit off here, and the purple especially does not really show, and it is a lovely royal purple, as is the satin lining. It is perfect for a 'casual goes slightly dressy' look, and will go equally well with dress pants or jeans. I have only ever owned neutral coloured winter coats as an adult. I love the vibrance of this one!




In the past, I have only had one coat for the season. Last year it was a black leather thigh length jacket (which had gotten too large and which I donated to the thrift store). I am eager to have a selection of outerwear to choose from this coming season! It soothes the pain of knowing garage sale season will be drawing to an end before I know it.

And in addition to the money saved on the bed, I estimate I saved at least a couple of hundred dollars on the vintage fur and mohair coats, compared to similar items being offered for sale on sites such as ebay and etsy. So it's not an exaggeration to say that I probably saved $1,000 that weekend!

Nifty, thrifty and (almost) fifty,
Cathy

4 comments:

  1. I am always amazed at your finds. What beautiful coats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I do seem to be very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You find the best stuff!! Seems to me I am never 'that' lucky. Enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I have always seemed to be very lucky at garage sales and thrift stores. Which is, I;m sure, part of the reason I enjoy it so much!

    Thank you for the good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete