Friday 28 June 2013

Attractive, fashionable outfits for under $20 head to toe - Part One

Friday, June 28, 2013

I am going to split this post into two parts, because I have several different outfits I would like to share, and do not want to create one ultra long posting that takes forever to scroll through.


The first outfit is wash and wear. I love easy care clothing! The earrings were $2.50 from Additionelle on clearance. The ring was also from the same sale, same price. The top was a Value Village find for $5.99.


I often try to follow the rules of Stacey and Clinton from TLC's 'What Not to Wear'. And here I went with something that is fitted under the bodice, to emphasize a narrower part of the body. The skirt was a hand me down that sees A LOT of wear.


The hose, bought new in package from Value Village, cost $1.99. Black hose always make the legs look slimmer! The shoes were $5 from the Suzy Shier outlet. The bag came from a garage sale and is perhaps the best 25 cents I have ever spent in my life. The bracelet was a gift.


Total cost of the first outfit, $18.23.





The next outfit features a dress that I think has a retro vintage flair with its large floral print. It was purchased from Value Village on 50% off day, for $5. The hose are the same as above, $1.99. The red shoes with the silver stilleto heels are another acquisition from the Suzy Shier outlet. They were priced at only $5.


The Liz Claiborne purse ended up costing me $4.20 from Value Village after my 30% off coupon. The earrings were from the clearance at Additionelle and were, as you probably guessed, $2.50. The bracelet was agan a gift. Total cost of this outfit was only $18.69.






I wear a lot of dresses and skirts in the summertime. I like the comfort and easy of care of maxi dresses like the one pictured here. It came from Value Village. The tone on tone pattern gives it some visual interest, but is still subtle. It was $5 when purchased on 50% off day.


These are the same black shoes from Suzy Shier as pictured with the first outfit. $5. The ankle bracelet is magnetic, and can also be used as a necklace or a bracelet. I picked it up last year from a garage sale, for $1.


The ring and bracelet combination is rather unique, I think, and has an exotic flair. I found it on kijiji, and purchased it with several other items. Bundling things brought its price to $1. The earrings were also $1 and came from the same kijiji seller.


Surprise, surprise, there is the black purse again! As you know by now, 25 cents for that little gem. The genuine leather belt was 50 cents. I have never had a belt to wear low on the hip before, but I quite like it. The necklace was a gift.


Total cost of this outfit...$13.75!








I paid more for the purple top that I am wearing with this next outfit than I would normally pay at a thrift store. It was $7.99 at Value Village. Regular price. No 30% off coupon! No 50% off day! But I love royal purple and have always felt this colour looks good on me. And I had been looking for just the right top in that shade for some time. So, knowing that it was highly unlikely the top would remain there til I had a coupon, or til half off day rolled around, I bought it. And I am glad that I did.


The earrings were $2.50 from the Additionelle clearance. The skirt was that free hand me down. The hose are the same ones purchased from Value Village for $1.99. And the shoes bought for $5 from Suzy Shier are again making their appearance. It extends your budget even more to have versatile pieces that go with a variety of outfits.


Here is the black bag...AGAIN! You'd think I didn't have any other purses, lol, but I do, and switch them out frequently. It just happened to be hogging the spotlight for today's post. The total for this outfit was $17.73.





I don't think that any of these outfits scream 'second hand rejects' or 'thrift store'. I think they are all quite presentable. Many of the pieces appear as new and at most were only very gently worn. I never feel as though I am 'settling' with my wardrobe in an effort to save money.

I shop at the places I do because it is fun for me. I consider it a hobby. I won't deny that the savings are a help with the budget. But I enjoy wearing the clothes that I have. And I think the outfits I put together are attractive and fashionable. Knowing they cost me less than $20 from head to toe just puts a little extra spring in my step!

Nifty, thrifty and (almost) fifty,

Cathy


2 comments:

  1. I also consider thrift shopping a hobby; for me it's sort of like a treasure hunt!! It's a good way to find things that aren't the 'same old' thing that's on the store racks, and getting them for a great price is always a good thing! Not everything is pre-worn, either... a lot of the thrift stores around here sometimes get 'lot ends' of items, I'll call them-- a few of the same thing in different sizes, still new with tags. A couple weeks ago I got 13 items of clothing at an estate sale- the price was $10 for the entire bag, and at least 4 of the items still had the tags on. The lady apparently liked shopping, and just never got around to wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treasure hunt is a great way to describe it!

    Our thrift store gets small shipments of new with tags items like that in as well, from time to time. The last time I was there, there were a bunch of belts, all in the same colour and style, and a carousel at the front with brand new jeans.

    Sounds like '13' was your lucky number that day! What an excellent deal for that many pieces of clothing, and most of them brand new. I get almost as big a thrill hearing about other people's 'deals' as I do finding my own, lol.

    ReplyDelete