Friday 28 June 2013

Where do I find thrifted items to put together my wardrobe?

Friday, June 28, 2013

In my next post, I will showcase some more of the outfits that I have put together from totally thrifted sources. Where do the clothes, shoes, and accessories come from? The more obvious sources for clothes and accessories were thrift stores and garage sales.


While I do not personally use them for the most part, some people have great success at consignment stores. Prices are generally higher than thrift store pricing, but the selection tends to more high end. For someone who is a professional especially, or is looking for a special piece for an important event, consignment stores are often just the place to shop.


There is still a significant savings over retail pricing. And consignment stores usually spend more time checking things like zippers and buttons, looking for stains, checking for wear, etc. than employees at a more high volume thrift store have the time to do.


Sometimes you can even find pieces that rival the thrift store in pricing. Especially now when thrift stores are starting to differentiate between every day clothing items and accessories and some of the more prestigious brands or high end designer pieces, and have adjusted their pricing accordingly.


Don't forget hand me downs from others. Friends and family members often have items to give away. Or you can trade or borrow jewelry, purses, or even shoes or clothes, if you happen to wear the same size. It's a way to give your wardrobe a boost and some variety without having to spend a cent.


And don't forget freecycle. Some people cannot be bothered to host a garage sale, or do not want to make a trip to the thrift store drop off location. They are happy to give away good second hand items to others who can use and appreciate them. For many, it's not about making money, but about keeping usable things out of the dumps, and being 'greener'. They will access needed and wanted things themselves on freecycle, and are happy to give back when they can.


Freecycle can be a source for many things, not just items for the wardrobe. You might consider joining a local community and to be part of the give and take. Picking up things you need and giving new life to those you don't.


I personally have used freecycle both to donate and to accept items. As it happens, our cat, Bobby, came to us via freecycle. His owner was moving and could not take him with her and was looking for a new home for him.


I will digress for a moment, for a PSA. Pet advocacy groups will recommend not rehoming a pet for 'free' because it could result in people picking one up on impulse and not really being committed to caring for it. Or you might find people who do not have the financial resources to take on all of a pet's care needs taking a pet because there is no initial cost. And in some parts of the continent, unscrupulous people will take 'free' pets and then sell them to labratories, or use them in illegal dog fight training.


Bobby's experience was positive though and he has been a cherished member of our family for over 6 years now. Here is my handsome boy.




While shipping costs are often prohibitive, ebay can also be a source for specific clothes or accessories. When my son was in his Thomas the Tank Engine phase, I found a wonderful sweater for him on ebay. Even with shipping it was far less than purchasing one in a local retail shop.


And when my daughter was crazy about Blues Clues, I found a seller who had some adorable outfits, clothing items that were not even sold here, for a very reasonable price. Both children got lots of wear out of what became very special wardrobe pieces. And I still have them safely packed away as childhood momentos.


So if there is a special brand of shoes you are looking for, or a purse you saw in a magazine and just have to have, it can be worthwhile sometimes to just browse ebay and see what is being offered, and for how much. Sometimes you might be pleasantly surprised.


Finally, being thrifty doesn't always have to mean 'second hand'. Some people shop retail clearance sales exclusively. They do not like the idea of 'used', or have never had much luck with second hand, and have become quite proficient at putting together great wardrobes at a fraction of the regular retail prices.


I do not normally shop retail, though there are a couple of outlet stores that I hit fairly regularly. Bluenotes is a favourite for jeans and tops for my teen daughter and son. I have a love affair with the Suzy Shier outlet that is located next door to it. They always have shoes on for great clearance prices, often less than Value Village. The last time I was there, they had earrings for $1.


And a couple of years ago I popped into an Additionelle store on a whim and found that they were clearancing their jewelry. I picked up several large, chunky rings...something I had been searching for unsuccessfully at garage sales all that season...for only $2.50 each.


So don't forget outlet stores and potential clearance sales at retail stores whose merchandise you tend to like. I am not a 'mall' person and you will not find me there shopping recreationally. It is not my 'thing'. I find that you have to make multiple trips to find something whereas at the thrift store I am successful at each outing.


But if you do like the mall, or have to be there for some other reason, even if you are committed to shopping on a budget, or tend to be more frugal like me, there 'are' deals to be found. And it never hurts to take a look.


Happy thrifting!


Nifty, thrifty and (almost) fifty,


Cathy

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous cat!! I usually do my thrifting via estate sales or thrift stores... I feel like I have to try things on to make sure I'll like them and to make sure they'll fit. Does that leave ebay shopping out, for me? I've never shopped for clothing there, but I'm imagining that ebay sellers wouldn't accept returns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I posted that photo of him with you in mind, as it happens. And he is such a great cat, so laid back.

    I know what you mean about preferring to try things on. I am long in the body, and have very long arms as well, so some styles, no matter what the size, will just never fit or feel right.

    I do not get clothes for myself on ebay, but know people who do. They are generally easier to fit than I am, or have a preference for brands that tend to fit more 'true' than some others. They seem to have success with it.

    Even if a seller accepts returns though (and some do), it is usually 'less shipping', so by the time you pay to have it shipped to you, and pay to send it back again, you're still going to be out money, and maybe with nothing to show for it.

    I have only bought clothes on ebay for my children, with the idea that if they didn't fit, I could probably sell them locally because they were popular items, and those particular pieces were not available here.

    I will take a risk at a garage sale if something is a buck or two, but like you, I'd really rather try things on. Even if something fits, until you've seen it in a mirror, and seen how it looks on you, that's no guarantee that it will be suitable.

    ReplyDelete