Tuesday 18 June 2013

'Steal' of a deal on leather!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Last Saturday was another situation where I found quality over quantity in terms of the actual number of garage sales in the local area. I had thought there would be far more, as June is usually the prime month for garage sales. While the sales were not plentiful, I did very well, however.


My scoop of the day came at the second sale that I hit. I found a Danier off-white leather jacket, a Danier red leather skirt, a Sears 'Jessica' brand dress (I love their stuff!), a fall/winter purse, and a wallet. I almost didn't pick up the leather items, because I assumed they'd be over my budget. But then I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.


When the seller told me $10 for everything, I was stunned. I had assumed the jacket alone would be at least five times that much (at which point it would have gone back on the hanger). I offered $8, just an automatic response in my surprise, which I would not normally do when things are priced that cheaply.


She said that she really wanted $10, since they were doing a fundraiser for cancer research. I hadn't realized that and said I'd happily pay the $10. I took my buys back to the van and set them on the back seat, then as I climbed in I realized another organizer was pointing to me and thinking I hadn't paid. She thought I was a thief! I was rather embarrassed, as the other seller assured her I had indeed paid. I know people do steal things from garage sales, sadly.


The funny thing is that earlier at that same sale, I had purchased sunglasses and a pair of earrings from the woman who thought I was stealing. I had waited patiently for her to finish with another customer then paid for my items. You'd think that if I was a thief, I would just have easily tucked those items into my purse while she was preoccupied with someone else. Knowing I had already paid her, I'm surprised she then thought I was trying to make off with an armload!


I did get some other great buys during the rest of the morning, which I will elaborate on and share photos of in the next day or two. Today I just wanted to share the two outfits that I bought from this sale. I will usually post full length photos, but cropped off my head here. Bad hair day!


The first is the Jessica dress. I have it paired here with the Guess purse I bought the previous weekend for $2, and a pair of gold gladiator sandals that were purchased from Value Village earlier in the spring for $3 (50% off day). I am also wearing three gold bracelets that I bought from the sale that had the fabulous jewelry buys and for which I paid $1. So...total outfit cost $8!




The second ensemble features the Danier leather jacket and skirt. I added a fitted tee, also from a garage sale, that I paid 33 cents for, black hose that I paid $1.99 for from Value Village (new in package), black ankle boots that were a half off sale at Value Village for $5, and a Nine West purse that I picked up this past Saturday for $3. Total cost of this outfit...$16.32!




The heat of summer is the perfect time to be looking for fall and winter items. People don't even want to 'look' at such pieces...sellers and buyers alike...after months of cold weather. They are happy to be wearing shorts and tank tops and the thought of heavy sweaters, or leather, is unpalatable to most people. So for those who can psyche themselves up for it, don't forget to look for things for your fall and winter wardrobe as well!


Nifty, thrifty and (almost) fifty,


Cathy

2 comments:

  1. Both outfits look fabulous and you cannot beat the prices. I especially love the first one. The matching purse really makes that dress and shoes shine. Great job. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was very pleased with them, and happy that they coordinated with other pieces that I already had.

    ReplyDelete