Friday 28 June 2013

Attractive, fashionable outfits for under $20 head to toe - Part Two

Friday, June 28, 2013

Here is the second installment of outfits that I put together for under $20 each.


This is one of my teen daughter's favourite outfits for me. In fact, she asked that I wear this top, skirt and tights to her grade eight graduation ceremony earlier this week. She feels the neckline on this top is very flattering. It is such a nice feeling when your thirteen year old girl is proud of you! I wore different shoes and accessories.


The top was only $2.80 after my 30% off coupon at Value Village. The necklace was 33 cents, one of several pieces I picked up at a garage sale for that price a few weekends ago. The skirt is a hand me down. The hose are the pair that I bought for $1.99 from Value Village, which were new in the package.


The $5 wedge sandals from Suzy Shier are making another appearance. I wear them a lot because they are so comfortable and easy to walk in. The red Liz Claiborne purse was $4.20 at Value Village after my 30% discount. The black magnetic bracelet and the silver link bracelet were $1 and 50 cents respectively at different garage sales. I paid $2.50 at an Additionelle clearance, for the ring.


The final total of this outfit, clothes, shoes and accessories...$18.32.




I have had the skirt seen in the next photo for a few years now. I love the colours in it and the way it falls. I paid $4.99 for it at Value Village. The tank top was also from Value Village and was purchased for $1.99. Those were regular prices for both items, but they were very well priced I think, so I didn't mind not getting any discount.


The sandals also came to me via Value Village, and were $5.99. You can't really tell from the picture, but the shoes have two shades of blue that match the blues in the skirt. It's like it was Fate, lol!


The ankle bracelet, from a garage sale, was $1. You can't really see them, but I am wearing two toe rings, which I bought from two different garage sales, for $1 each. The necklace and ring came from two different garage sales and cost $1 a piece. I have had the necklace for a few years now.


There's that black purse again! Yes...it was 25 cents from a garage sale. The total price that I paid for this 'summertime blues' outfit was $18.22.





This brown skirt was a hand me down. The brown tank top was $2.99 from Value Village. The orange leather belt came from a local dress boutique. They had it on clearance for $5. The shoes are the ones pictured above, bought for $5.99 from Value Village.

The necklace came from a garage sale several years ago and I paid 50 cents for it. The earrings and the orange bracelet are from kijiji and were $1 each. The two gold bracelets came from my recent garage sale jewelry bonanza and were 33 cents each.

The purse was free. I traded a Walter Campbell winter scene that I was just going to donate, for it. I told you I had other purses, lol! The total of this cute outfit was $17.14. 




I love this next dress. They say that you should avoid horizontal stripes because they invariably make you look too wide, which is not the silhouette most of us are going for! I don't know if it is because the stripes are fairly narrow, or because I am quite tall (5' 10") but I think I can carry it off. I bought the dress with a 30% off coupon, and ended up paying $9.09 for it.


The shoes were $5 from the Suzy Shier outlet. The ring and bracelet came from the same garage sale and were $1 and 50 cents respectively. The earrings were 33 cents.


That makes the total for this outfit $15.93. I have a variety of purses that I could add to it, all keeping the final price well under $20.




Here is the same dress which I had mentioned was bought for $9.09 at Value Village. The blue cardigan came from the same place. I paid $4.20 for it after using a 30% off coupon. The gold gladiator sandals were a Value Village 50% off day bargain at $3. The purse was $1 from a garage sale. And it's not black!

The earrings were part of my 33 cent jewelry score at a recent garage sale. The three gold bracelets were $1 for the set from the same garage sale. A rare Sunday sale the following day yielded the ring for $1.

The final cost of this outfit...which I think looks rather chic...was $19.62.




For the cost of a moderately priced bottle of wine, I have several different outfits to choose from. And remember that my total monetary outlay was not the total of the price of all outfits added together. Many pieces moonlighted to work with other outfits. So $50 or $60 spent might create six or seven different outfits which each price out individually at under $20 total.

I should do a future blog post on just that thing. The total spent on multiple pieces and then show how many outfits I can make utilizing them, and break down what each outfit itself cost. What do you think?

Nifty, thrifty and (almost) fifty,

Cathy



3 comments:

  1. I would love to see a post on mixing and matching up items to make different outfits! That's one of my pitfalls with 'nicer' clothes (besides t-shirts, I mean- extreme casual wear goes with pretty much anything) when I buy them... I buy things I like, but don't really think too much about whether they will work with other things I already have, so I end up with a closet full of 'orphan' pieces that I really don't know how to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgot to say- I love the two outfits with the blue sandals!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to do such a post then. I just seem to be lucky to end up with pieces that work together. I don't always think about what I can wear them with either. Maybe I am just drawn to similar things that naturally go together.

    Of course one of the benefits of getting things inexpensively is that even if something doesn't go with more than one outfit, and you end up having to buy additional pieces, it's not as though you've tied up a good chunk of your budget in one piece with limited versatility.

    Thank you. And I really like those sandals. They are more comfortable than I had thought they might be, being thong style and between the toes like that.

    ReplyDelete