Wednesday 26 June 2013

Sale days at the thrift stores

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

This past weekend I was fortunate to spend a couple of days with my sister. We did not go to any garage sales, but we did get out to a couple of her local thrift stores.


Saturday afternoon we hit the Talize. A sign on the door announced that it was 50% off purple tag items that day. I have determined that I will no longer buy things just because they are inexpensive or on sale. I will only buy things that I actually like and which I think look nice on me. It's not a 'deal' if you don't feel good wearing something, even if it was free.


So I wasn't specifically seeking out purple tag items. As it happens though, the thrift store gods were smiling down on me and all but one item that I picked out and wanted to buy did indeed have a purple tag.


I was looking for some capris and found two nice pairs from Reitmans. One pair, a cheerful lime green colour, were priced at $9.99, but half price. Another, also from Reitmans, but a versatile brown, were marked $7.99 and also half price.



I found a sleeveless black and white knit top marked $4.99, with a coveted purple price tag, so it ended up being $2.50. I did pay the full price of $1.99 for a 'Jessica' brand tank top in a pale peach colour.

My favourite find at Talize was a pair of purple high heeled sling backs. They are one of the highest heeled shoes I own, but their design makes them easy to walk in. I have only recently been wearing heels with any real height to them, and am still mastering the art of looking balanced and graceful. I love how heels look though.




And now that I am almost fifty, even though I am 5' 10", I no longer care if wearing a pair of heels makes me not only the tallest woman, but often the tallest person, in a room.


The following day we visited Value Village. It was 50% off day for card members. Naturally, I am a proud Value Village card member! I did not find the selection in this particular Value Village to be anywhere near as varied as that of my local store. I did manage to find a short, denim skirt priced at $3.99, ringing up for $2 after my discount, which was something I had not been able to find at my Value Village.


A faux wrap around top in bright hues of orange, and turquoise, with black and gold, caught my eye. It was priced for $7.99, $4 after the discount. 




I also found a fuschia coloured light sweater with three quarter length sleeves, priced at $5.99, purchased for $3.



I was particularly pleased to have found a hat which was the exact style I had been looking for since seeing one in a nearby dress shop. The hat I had looked at in the retail shop was $19.99. 


I might have splurged, because on occasion I do for something I really want, but I was not too keen on the colours. It was a floppy fabric hat with a wide brim, and I liked how it looked on me. And I thought the wide brim would be great for keeping the sun out of my eyes and away from my rosacea plagued skin.

I have been on the lookout for one ever since. As I was standing in line waiting to use the change room, I saw a display on a nearby wall and a hat which looked, at least from a distance, as though it might be just what I was looking for.


Naturally, as I stood there holding my place in line, another woman picked it up and put it on her head. Thankfully, she decided it did not suit her. But once I had finished with the change rooms, I went back to the hat. It was exactly the style I had wanted. I am not really a 'hat' person, I do not usually wear them, and often think they look out of place on me. But this one was, I thought, just right!


I conferred with my sister, who is always honest with me, and decided that it was 'the' hat and added it to my purchases. It was priced at $6.99 so was only $3.50 after the discount. With the thin black and white stripes encircling it, it will go with anything.


Thrift stores are generally pricier than garage sales, of course. But you can find some great deals, especially on sale days. And naturally the selection is much better. I love both, for different reasons. If you happen to go and see something you like though, you had better buy it then and there. Because almost everything is a 'one of' and odds are it will not be there later if you decide to go back for it!


Nifty, thrifty and (almost) fifty,


Cathy



No comments:

Post a Comment